By my calculations, I'm about five days behind on this Thirty-One Days of Thankful project. Sounds about right for me... Usually a day (or five) late and a dollar short, but charge forth I shall! The end of last week and the weekend were cuh-razy busy, with late-ish nights and early-ish mornings, and I just could not eek out even a few minutes to write.
So, what started out as a simple concept of writing about things I'm thankful for, daily, for the thirty-one days of December, has now turned into a mathematical equation. But that's alright. My pea-sized brain needs these kinds of mental challenges to remain the finely-tuned pea-sized machine that it is. To get back on track, I decided that today I'd do a list of five things I'm thankful for. Crazy though it was, the weekend was filled with a lot of good things, thanks-worthy things...
1. Shopping! The Christmas shopping is complete. Whew. Feels good. Shopping, in general, I really don't enjoy. However, I spent a day of shopping on Saturday with my mom and one of my sisters, and it was a fun, lovely day. We ate out. We hit a few neat shops. We loaded up my sister's vehicle like Santa's sleigh. Did I mention my Christmas shopping is complete? I just really love, and am thankful for, that particular fact.
2. Worship planning at our church... Love. Love, love, love. I am one of three worship planners at our church. This means that every few weeks, I am in charge of selecting music, coordinating practice with my worship team, playing the piano, singing, and putting together the power point of words on the screen. Those weeks are always a special, powerful, God-filled time for me. I'm not going to lie, it can be somewhat demanding and a bit stressful, but mostly I just love doing it and being a servant to God, and our church family, in that way. I'm very thankful to God for putting me in the position of being able to use my musical gifts in this way.
3. A going-away party... A couple from our church, who have come to be friends of ours, are moving soon to begin missionary training school. Last night we had a going-away party for the wife. Since we moved back to Minnesota, she is a woman who has become a cherished friend. We are both so busy with our families and life, that sometimes it seems, even though we know each other personally and get together once in awhile, we're more like online friends! It's bittersweet, sending them off, but we fully support their work, and I'm really thankful for the internet, so we can stay in touch! Until they end up in the jungles of Papua New Guinea or some other such locale, and then we might have to resort to old-fashioned letter writing, but we'll make it work. :)
4. New paint... Mr. Blue Eyes' painted Miss Peaches' bedroom this weekend. One of these days I'm going to try to do a little 'before & after' post about the redesign. Right now it's still on-going.
Oh, that man, he must love me... I've had him paint more walls than either of us can count. Sometimes the same walls, over and over again. I do think I'm about satisfied with all the paint colors in the main part of our house, so he'll have a breather for awhile. At least, until we get around to painting the basement... And ideally I'd kind of like to repaint the living room... Shhhh. Don't tell him.
5. A day with my kiddos... Today was just an ordinary day, like just about every other Monday around here, but after being out and about all weekend and really not having any time with them, it felt really good to be back in the nest with my little chicks.
That is all, folks! No pretty pictures today. Sorry. With all the running around I simply do not have any pictures hanging out on my hard drive that have anything to do with today's post! This might be a 'first'. And hopefully it's a 'last'. I feel strangely uncomfortable not writing in the photojournalistic style I have so come to love.
Tomorrow. Pictures. Thankfulness. I promise.